Monday, October 11, 2010

Cabin 98.6 (?)

As we head into the fall season, the weather here in the desert is FINALLY approaching "livable" conditions.  Temperatures are no longer in the triple digits, and my brain is not in over-heat mode.  Husband and I have talked a LOT over the past few years about our strong desire to move.  While we have made many wonderful friends here, and have been extremely blessed with our children and stable jobs, we can't help but feel it is time for a change.

This is NOT a city in which either one of us want to raise a family.  We have not experienced any real sense of community here, and are tired of the tourist-driven economy.  I think we could argue that we both ended up here by chance, and we desperately are seeking a change.  We even know where we would like to put down our roots....but the hard truth is that in order for any move to become a reality, we have to get jobs!  Let's face it - the economy has been not-so-great, and so many school districts have actually been forced to reduce their teaching forces, not increase them....*ugh*.  To top it off, I have been bitten by the bug...

For most people, the bug that bit me brings about symptoms of claustrophobia, driving people to get out of the house and find an open area in which to socialize with other non-claustrophobes out there.  But I guess I'm not most people...I have a case of non-cabin-fever...or rather, a case of Cabin 98.6. 

When my brain is able to go idle, it zips me away to my dreams of a small cabin in the woods, away from the hustle and bustle of life...I yearn for the sounds of trees swaying in the wind, and the still of snowfall as we watch through the window, holding our mugs of hot cocoa in our hands.  I dream of soft light over the dining table, as my family plays a board game before bed.  Heck, I even dream of getting away on the weekends to "fix" up the cabin...I want my children to have the opportunity to make many wonderful cabin memories, because those are some of my most cherished memories from my own youth. 

So here is the plan - and please, I need all the happy thoughts you can muster in order to make this dream come true....We would like to move to Seattle or Portland this summer and find a decent house to rent.  Within the next 2 years, we will find a cabin that is between 2 and 4 hours away, and bada-bing, bada-boom, live life.  Now, I know that whatever life has in store for us will be what it is, and I am already so blessed...but dreams are funny things - they motivate us to go in directions we may never have believed we could go.

In the meantime, I will suffer my Cabin 98.6, holding fast to my dreams, and wishing you all a silent snowfall all around you, and a warm cup of hot cocoa with extra marshmallows in your hands :)

Take care, and sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment