Wednesday, September 29, 2010

(un)Common Sense...

On the way to work this morning, I was listening to a popular morning radio show here in the desert.  Nine times out of ten, this experience provides me with just enough meaningless banter for me to survive the 30 minutes of traffic I must tolerate before I am able to throw open the doors of my classroom and mentally prepare for the wild onslaught of 150 hormone-in-excess(ed) middle school students.

Other than the fact that I got to kiss both my kids goodbye (a nice treat, since they are usually asleep), today was no different than most days.  Except for the radio show.  With my seat-belt securely fastened, and my mirrors in their proper positions, I turned on the radio.  Backing out of my driveway, I was just in time to hear the end to some song I probably won't remember in ten years.  The DJ's then came on and began discussing a news story, that despite its importance, will likely not gain a quarter of the attention it deserves.

Apparently, after a year and a half of being bullied at school, a 13 year-old boy ended his own life.  His parents claim he was bullied for being small for his age, for his lack of athletic prowess, and...for being gay.  His parents also claim to have notified the school in the past regarding the bullying that their son was enduring, but they say nothing was ever done to put an end to the situation.  For whatever reason, the school disputes the claim that they were ever contacted by the parents.

There is probably something more to the story.  But nothing can change the fact that a young life was stolen from our world, and that is downright inexcusable - it is sickening, and we as human beings should be outraged that events like this are allowed to occur.

Some might argue that, as a race, we have come a long way from (wherever) we started.  We all benefit everyday from mind-boggling advancements in science and technology, and maybe the world is a better place for them.  But, as a teacher, sometimes I watch my students (and their families) and I have to wonder if we aren't moving in the wrong direction.

I am probably a bigger tech-head than I would care to admit...but do you remember the days before cell phones?  Or computers?  MySpace?  Facebook?  Texting?  Sure, I LOVE the convenience and time I can save by Google-ing remote control codes for my universal remote.  But in the same time it takes me to access those codes, a young teen can post a negative, rude, hurtful comment about a peer, and 3 other students can add their own hateful remarks to the original posting.

I guess what I am forced to wonder is, where is our common sense?  Maybe common sense is a myth, and that we never truly had it to begin with.  But the optimist is me says otherwise.  Parents, Community Members, Fellow Human Beings, I implore you...please, whenever and wherever you see bullying, take a stand.  Talk to your kids about bullying, and help them to develop the skills they need to take the "power" away from the bully.  Teach them to go to adults with any bullying issues they might face, and keep your communication lines open so they know they can come to you when they are feeling threatened or bullied.  Follow up with other adults and the school to make sure the situation is being dealt with promptly and properly.  Monitor your kids on the internet.  And above all else, remember that you are their PARENT.  You are your child's advocate.  Empower yourself by learning and staying involved in your child's life.  If you are a parent, you have the responsibility to BE a PARENT.

That's common sense to me, I guess...If you are a parent, if you have a child depending upon you for whatever reason or under whatever circumstances, you have a responsibility to BE a PARENT.  That 13 year old didn't die because he was gay.  He died because we failed him.  No one should have to tolerate being bullied.

This post is dedicated to the 13 year-old boy, whose death changed my day, and to all victims of bullying in the world.  Enough is enough.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. And very necessary. I read about this story over at a site I frequent called disgrasian.com and left a comment about my experiences growing up bullied and how to this day it STILL affects me. I tolerate a lot of things and chalk it up to kids just being kids. However I have a zero tolerance policy for bullying of any kind. This isn't something you can just shake off.

    Now that that's said, HELLO! Glad to know you're still around and blogging again. I visited your site a couple times in the past few years to see if you were still at it and at that time, you weren't. Nice to see you've picked it up again.

    ReplyDelete